GCVA Beach Team - 2017 Season
GCVA Beach Team Program
***Kicks Off Thursday May 11th 2017***
GCVA BEACH TEAM PROGRAM (Ages 10-18): COST $495
*($200 deposit due upon signup, $150 due first week in may, $145 due the first week in June)
*(Note: The value of the Beach Team Gear and FREE Tournament entrys are more than the entire cost of the program, it is like the TRAINING/COACHING IS FREE)
- Includes All Practices, Matches and Tournaments.
- Point Program (earn points for practice/tournaments to get end of year prizes/awards)
- Exclusive GCVA Beach Team Gear for practices and Tournaments which includes: Mizuno Beach Gear, Vincere Sand Sox, GCVA Practice Shirts, Spalding Ball, (Gear value $250).
- Entry Fees for GCVA Beach Series from May 13 - July 15 ($250 Value) (for most tournaments, see below)
- Entry Fee for the May 2017 USAV Junior National Qualifier in Galveston ($40 value)
- Entry Fee for the June 2017 USAV Junior National Qualifier in Galveston ($40 value)
- Entry Fee for the July 2017 USAV Junior National Qualifier in Galveston ($40 value)
- A shared Coach for all the USAV Qualifiers
- NOTE: Players are not required to attend tournaments, however the tournaments are FREE and included in the program.
- GCVA Director - Vic Cliffird (832-928-4120) firstname.lastname@example.org
- GCVA Beach Team Director - Travis Clifford (832-316-0323) email@example.com
- Practices are Thursday from 7-9pm at the League City Sports Complex.
- Coaches have 10+ years experience playing sand. Head Coaches are USAV Beach Impact and BCAP Certified. We have a very good coach to player ratio!
- GCVA Tournament will be on the weekends. (FREE entry for most tournaments inclucing all USAV Junior Beach Tour National Qualifiers hosted by GCVA)
- To sign up go to www.gcva.net log in or create an account and select GCVA Junior Beach Team.
***SPACE IS LIMITED***
This program was FULL the last three years! We had 15 players qualify for USAV Junior Beach Nationals last year!
- Each player must be registered with USA Volleyball Lone Star Region (outdoor memberships are $25 payable to USAV/LSR). If you are all ready a USAV/LSR member we just need your USAV#, indoor memberships are GOOD for outdoor volleyball.
- FOR USAV BEACH, players can play with any club. Club does not matter, anyone can play as long as they are usav members.
- Teams - Players sign up individually, however they can select a partner or we can pair them with an appropriate competitive partner. If your daughter has a preference as to who she partners with, these recommendations can be made on the registration form or at the start of the program. Please understand that just because two players are good friends does not always mean they are good sand partners.
- We are scheduling a Player/Parent Meeting for Thursday May 11th at the League City Sports Complex (Starts at 7PM).
- Start Date: Practice Begins Thursday May 11
- First Tournament is Saturday May 20th (USAV JBT NATIONAL QUALIFIER)
- Last Tournamet is Saturday July 15 (USAV JBT NATIONAL QUALIFIER)
- Rainout Dates July 20 - (If we have more than two rainouts)
- Season is over Thursday July 20 with Pizza Party and Awards Cermony or July 27 if we use rainout dates.
- NO activities Friday July 6 (for July 4th Holiday)
- Please note that the U.H. Fundraiser tournamnet is NOT a free tournament (all entry fees go to U.H.) so everyone even Beach Team Plus Players must pay. Sunfest is NOT a free tournamnet because we are not the promoters, just the tournament director.
Why Play Beach Volleyball?
- Doubles provides the best in random, game-like volleyball experiences with a high number of contacts per person.
- Each player's weaknesses are practiced throughout the game - if you're a bad passer, you get served; if you're a bad setter, you partner is served and you must set. You are forced to become a better player
- To extend your range on defense as you are required to cover the entire court.
- To develop communication skills with a single partner before moving on to a 6-person system.
- To enhance strength and conditioning through increased movement.
- To learn equal part in the responsibility of every play with your partner
- Sand Volleyball is a NCAA Scholarship sport.
- To be one of the best sand players you do not have to be one of the giant indoor players.
Whether it's on the beach or grass, 4-on-4 or 2-on-2, outdoor volleyball is a fun and effective way to gain valuable playing experience and to get an edge on other players. Play hard, play often and play outdoors to become a better all-around player. "A lot of indoor players are specialists, but on the beach you need to play all phases well, and you need a lot of ball control." – Karch Kiraly, three-time Olympic Gold Medalist (1984 and 1988 Indoor, 1996 Beach), Head Coach USA Women's Indoor National Team
Note From Travis Clifford
First off, I would like to say that my goal is for the growth of every athlete in the GCVA.
I believe that one way to see a drastic change in skill level is through beach volleyball. I grew up playing beach volleyball and have been competing since I was 8. The benefits are endless (Not to mention it is a College Sport Now :)))...
1. Physical Conditioning • Aerobic fitness • Anaerobic lactic system • Jump • Core strength
2. Get Ball Contacts • Keep skills sharp • Play every rally • More practice contacts
3. Get Ball Contacts • Keep skills sharp • Play every rally • More practice contacts
4. Develop Mental Toughness • Strengths minimized • Weaknesses magnified • Nowhere to hide • Focus, self-control
5. Improve Weaker Skills • Setting • Serve Receive • Attack • Block • Defense • Ball Control
6. Tactical Adjustments • Self-coach during match • Offense & Defense • Plan B
7. Pull Self Out of Tank • No substitutions • No hiding • Refocusing • Simplify techniques • Execution under pressure
8. Pull Partner Out of Tank • No substitutions • No hiding • Supportive • Non-verbal communication
9. Mediation • Must work things out • Listening skills • Communication • Objective assessment
10. Teamwork Skills • Trust • Sharing responsibility • Working together
I really hope to see all of you on the beach this summer, working hard to improve their skills. Please go to http://www.gcva.net/content/outdoor-volleyball_junior-beach-team to learn more about the dates and times for the program. From this site you will be able to sign up! I would recommend the girls sign up with a partner.
I want to stress that I will have every opportunity available this summer for your daughter to become the best volleyball player she can be. I will provide as many opportunities as they can handle. I hope everyone takes advantage of this. I know many of the girls want to make the high school team and play in college and believe me, it is not easy! The first step in that direction is a passion to improve as a volleyball player. Here is one opportunity to improve.
Have a great day, and GO COAST!!
Travis Clifford/GCVA Beach Team Training Coordinator
USAV Junior Beach Tour Championships for those who qualify: The 2017 Junior Beach Tour Championships are at a location TBD
All Players will accumulate individual points throughout the program. Players in each division who earn the most points will be recognized at the end of the program. Points will be used for end of year prizes and awards.